I could do a long intro, but long intros to self-explanatory information get on my nerves.
- Spend less than you earn. Earn more + spend less = save even more. It’s elementary.
- Make a budget. Think real paper budget instead of inside your head budget. I know many of you are going to try to skip this step. Why listen to me, I’m only a financial genius, I’m sure you know what you’re doing.
- Make SMART goals. Motivate yourself by having a real reason to save.
- Switch to a cash only system. Limit what you can spend in a tangible way.
- Put your retirement savings on autopilot. Less to do, less to mess up.
- Budget for the fun stuff – try giving yourself a monthly allowance to satiate your impulses to indulge.
- Cook at home.
- Limit small purchases as they can escalate faster than a three year old with a sharpie… in a car (speaking from personal experience).